My Progress

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Background Part 2

(See Part 1 Below)
Where was I? Oh yes...

I found that working towards something really helped me, so I did what every new runner does - I signed up for a race. Not just any race, a HALF MARATHON. No starting slow here. I was running about 3 miles at a time in Aug, and my race was in Feb. I did it, and it was the BEST time of my life. During marathon training I wasn't really aware if I was loosing weight or not (again, no scale) but people would tell me I looked great and that felt good. Of course after the race I had that post race let down. I did a few races here and there but wasn't running over 10 miles like I was, but my "size" stayed the same.

I got pregnant with my second son and again found out my weight at the doctors which was 136. But I definitely had a different physique than the first time. Again, I put on exactly 28lbs and did absolutely NO exercise while pregnant. Didn't want to "risk" it - only an excuse.

The difference was that by the time my son was born I was DYING to get back to running. 2 1/2 weeks after he was born I was running two miles - NOT RECOMMENDED. When he was three months old I had upped my runs to 7miles. BUT, I wasn't losing weight, wasn't gaining it either. Once I stopped nursing I hit the gym. I was trying to run and lift at least 4 days a week, but again it wasn't until my son was about 9months old that I really started to lose weight. This time I had a scale and I was about 145lbs. By the time my son turned one, I was at 135 and then at 14months I hit my all time low of 128lbs.

I continued to run and exercise but was now trying to incorporate healthy foods too. I switched to whole wheat, ground turkey instead of beef, and lots of salads. For the next 5months my weight pretty much stayed the same, but I looked better. I began to do triathlons, and I ran a few road races. I kept the weight off for a year, but a move out of state and going back to school I noticed my weight creeping up again. With a two and four year old and taking on nursing school I ate away my stress - and there was a lot of it. This new eating style and no time for exercise (so I thought) I reached 145lbs again over the next year. I battled this number for the rest of my school years and I graduated at almost 150lbs.

Then I got pregnant for the third time. I weighed in at 148lbs. I was so sick with this pregnancy that I lost almost 10lbs in the first three months. I thought I might even leave the hospital the same weight that I started - yeah right. The last three months I made up for feeling so crummy for so long. I gained 34lbs - NOT including the 10 I lost in the beginning. It was a number I've never seen on the scale before - 182.

When I left the hospital I had lost 20lbs! So happy about that - but it didn't last long. I lost control and began an eating fest like never before. I decided to wait on the exercise this time around and wasn't even thinking about it until two months later. Now I topped the scale at 180. Yes, 20lbs in two months. Out-of-control.

So here I am, my daughter almost three months and a good 50lbs to lose. And even after that I'd still like to lose another 10. But I figure I can take my time on that one but these 50lbs HAVE GOT TO GO.

So that's my background in a BIG nutshell. Now that you know where I've come from, you can watch where I go. And I will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment